By Jane Bauer
- Art Classes at Frida Kahlo Art Store Saturday mornings from 10am-3pm FREE oil painting art classes are given at the store. Bring your own material or purchase on the spot. Frida Kahlo Armenta Y Lopez 503 Oaxaca Centre, Oaxaca 951.514-5349
- Cooking Class with Pilar Cabrera – A delicious way to explore Oaxacan culture. Start off with a shopping excursion in a local market and finish with a family style meal you prepared. http://www.casadelossabores.com/
- Streets in Historical Center Closed for Bicycling – With an ever growing bike culture there are lots of places to rent or borrow bicycles. Ask your hosts or hotel for the nearest location. Sunday 9 am to 1 pm – Free Independencia to Reforma to Conzatti Park to García Vigil back to Independencia.
- Mushroom Festival – July 21st & 22nd San Antonio Cuahimoloyas Tel: 951 175 6762 email@example.com
- San Pablo Cultural Center – This beautifully open renovated space has a café, an area with children’s books and bean bag chairs for lounging. Stop in and rest. FREE Antiquo calle jonde SanPablo (Independencia 904
- Xochimilco Organic Market– Held in the courtyard of the local church this open air market is full of organic delicacies from sopes made with nut butter instead of lard to vegetarian sushi. Come hungry and leave happy. Fridays and Saturday mornings.
- Touring villages with Alvin Starkman – If you missed the Mushroom Festival but are interested in exploring the area, Alvin Starkman is the go to guy. With a wealth of knowledge from mezcal to chapulines to barro negro he will give you the inside on the villages around Oaxaca. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Danzón with the Marimba Band – Although danzón is the official genre and dance of Cuba it is also an active musical form in Mexico. Enjoy this vibrant outdoor music show. Wednesdays 6:30pm – Free Zócalo
- .Ethnobotanical Garden – The only way to see this wonderful garden is on a tour, come prepared with water and sunscreen. Arrive ten minutes before the tours to purchase tickets. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday 11am – $100 pesos Entrance Reforma & Constitutión.
- Museo Filatelia de Oaxaca (Stamp Museum) – The permanent collection houses letters from Frida Kahlo to her doctor Leo Eloesser. It is fascinating to read about the spinal injuries whose pain had such a huge influence on her art. Museo de Filatelia de Oaxaca, A.C. Reforma 504, Centro Histórico, Oaxaca, www.mufi.org.mx 10am-8pm