How To Get a Temporary Resident Visa

By Erin May

If you have fallen in love with Mexico’s beaches, culture and lifestyle and have decided you want to stay longer than a typical vacation it is important you understand the country’s immigration and residency policies.

Getting your Temporary Resident Visa

Foreigners wishing to live in Mexico longer than 180 days must apply for a “Visitante Rentista” or Temporary Resident Visa (formally know as an FM-3) under current Mexican Immigration Law. This applies to foreigners who wish to reside temporarily or permanently in Mexico and either live on funds from abroad or if they wish to work in Mexico. Such persons are permitted to engage in any remunerative activity in Mexico if they apply to do so. A foreigner meeting the requirements may acquire resident status for a year, which must be renewed on a yearly basis.

In order to get your temporary resident Visa, you are required to submit the following:

  • A completed Visa Application A passport valid for at least one year.
  • Original and photocopy of the migratory document proving your legal migratory status in your home country.
  • One (1) photograph measuring (3.5 cm X 3.1 cm)
  • Payment of fees must be made in cash for the issuance of the visa.
  • Original or photo copy of investment receipts of bank statements showing an average monthly balance of $29,407.00 CAD during the past 12 months OR Original and photocopy of documents showing that the applicant has employment or a pension with a monthly tax free income of over $1,764.00 CAD during the past 6 months.

Applications must be submitted at the Mexican consulate nearest your home city in your . This rule was applied in 2013. Once applied for and granted, the Temporary Resident Visa may issued for up to 4 years (or yearly, with annual renewals required in Mexico) and after this four year period, it cannot be renewed: at the end of the four year period you must apply for a Permanent Resident Visa or leave the country.

Because the regulations often change, it’s wise to confirm with a Mexican embassy or your consulate before you go.

Erin May is the owner/operator of Mexico Vacation Rental and a distributor for Seacret Direct. She has a passion for travel, the outdoors and all things Mexico. She spends her time traveling, living and working in Calgary, Alberta & Huatulco, Mexico.

Leave a Reply