- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chopped jalapeño chile with seeds, divided
- 2 15- to 16-ounce cans black beans, undrained
- 1 15-ounce can petite diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Chopped green onions
- Crumbled feta cheese
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, and garlic; sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 6 minutes. Mix in cumin and 1 teaspoon jalapeño. Add beans, tomatoes with juice, and broth; bring soup to boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer 3 cups of soup to blender and puree until smooth. Return puree to pot. Simmer soup until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon jalapeño, if desired.
Ladle soup into bowls. Pass cilantro, green onions, and feta cheese separately.