Courtesy of Chef Brock Windsor, Bearfoot Bistro, Whistler, British Columbia
- 1 lb. sablefish, cut in 4 pieces
- 1 cup tamari soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh ginger
- ½ bunch cilantro, chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 cups baby greens Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup grapeseed or canola oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cup seeded, coarsely chopped cucumber
Combine soy sauce, honey, ginger, cilantro and garlic in a dish large enough to hold the fish. Place fish pieces in marinade, cover dish tightly with plastic and let stand in fridge for at least an hour, and up to 5 hours. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 400 F. Remove fish from marinade, blot dry with a paper towel and place in a buttered baking dish. Bake fish in oven 8-12 minutes, or until it is done.
Combine vinaigrette ingredients in a pan and stir well to combine. Add cucumbers and heat until they are warmed through – don’t overheat. Spoon cucumbers onto plate, place sablefish on top, and garnish with greens. That is umami! And the champagne is still the perfect accompaniment.